We have been supporting the San Gabriel Library for over 30 years.
Del Dochterman (pictured below) remembers joining the group in the 1970's. She did not intend to become president as she was a schoolteacher with a family at home. She merely wanted to know how she could help. When members moved away, Del became the "last man standing", and she decided that despite all her other responsibilities, she would keep supporting the library. Del volunteered hours of her own time organizing books and running book sales. Eventually she attracted more members, and the group became a viable and valuable asset to the library, which it remains to this day.
Currently the group is led by co-presidents, Pam Petievich and Irene Chapman (pictured below).
To support the San Gabriel branch of the County Library as it strives to:
- Encourage literacy, lifelong learning, and enrichment throughout our diverse community;
- Focus public attention on library services, facilities, and needs, and advocate for the library;
- Help the library be responsive to the needs of the community, and increase the community's access to information and knowledge;
- Provide for a vibrant cultural gathering place;
- Participate in fundraising activities (e.g. in the form of encouraging gifts of books, magazines, desirable collections, endowments, bequests, and membership in the Friends of the Library)
What We've Achieved
- Continued financial support to help librarians provide new newspapers, magazines, books, music, and DVDs.
- Assisted with special Summer Reading Programs such as "Reading is So Delicious" that kept more than 1100 young stars reading in the summer.
- Promoted the "One City, One Book, One Read," program and provided titles of selected books to San Gabriel schools.
- Funded cooking demonstrations, author talks, wild animal presentations, ice cream socials, live music and health seminars.
- Funded the restoration of the original mural pictured in the banner above, painted by Robert Freeman in 1984.